Migraine is one of the most common forms of neurological headaches experienced by people and there is no permanent cure for it. There are different forms of treatment that focus on reducing the severity and the frequency of its attacks. These include practicing meditation, yoga, exercises and alternative medicines that are more gentle, having almost no side effects. One such option is the to use CBD oil for migraines, read on to know more.
What Is Migraine And Its Different Phases?
Migraines are severe recurring headaches with symptoms like nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light or sound. In most cases, it affects only one side of the head causing severe throbbing pain and usually lasts for up to 4 to 8 hours. Also, in severe cases, it can affect the daily activities of persons suffering from it. There are mainly four phases to it and they are listed below.
- Prodromal Phase: This phase begins minutes, hours or days before the actual migraine attack and there is a wide variety of symptoms.
- Aura Phase: In this phase, people experience disturbance in vision, changes in perception of sound, light, smell, touch and taste. It lasts about 1 to 2 hours and is the most reliable indicator.
- Pain Or Headache Phase: This is the main phase of a migraine attack and the severity varies between individuals.
- Postdrome Phase: This is the last phase after the migraine headache and many people say that it resembles a hangover that can last for several days.
How Is CBD Oil For Migraines Useful?
CBD is beneficial for treating migraines in three different ways because of its influence on the endocannabinoid system (ECS) of our body and they are listed below.
- CBD Prevents Serotonin Release From Platelets: Platelets are a type of blood cells playing an important role in blood coagulation and inflammation to protect the body from injuries. Sometimes platelets release huge amounts of serotonin causing shock and this results in migraines. CBD for migraines works at a molecular level and prevents this release of serotonin. This also helps to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- CBD Reduces Inflammation: The anti-inflammatory effect of CBD for migraines helps in migraine treatment or prevention. This is achieved due to its effect on inflammatory pathways like adenosine and over activation of NF-kB.
- CBD Reduces Vascular Spasms: The trigeminal nerve is spread across our face, and its excessive firing results in vascular spasms in the brain causing migraine headaches. This is because of the hyperactivity of the NMDA/glutamate system causing neurons to fire faster. CBD oil for migraines is useful because it enhances the calming effect of GABA reducing neuronal firing.